Panama City Sewer Backup Attorneys
No one has to tell you exactly how unpleasant, inconvenient, and damaging a sewer backup can be. The very thought can instill fear in homeowners everywhere. The fact is, however, that sewer backups happen, and they can be the byproduct of natural disasters like the hurricanes that are common to Florida. The damage caused by a sewer backup can be extensive, but an experienced Panama City insurance claims attorney can help you obtain the compensation you need to fully recover on your losses.
Sanitary Sewer Systems
Sanitary sewer systems are installed to carry the wastewater, stormwater, and excess groundwater that naturally collects to water treatment facilities where it is cleaned. When such a system becomes obstructed, the sewage moving within can back up into your home. Such backups can lead not only to considerable property damage but can also pose considerable health concerns.
Common Causes of Backups
A sewage system backup can be caused by any number of issues, including:
- Inferior design and/or execution of sanitary lines
- The excess water wrought by severe storms
- A break in the sanitary line system (often found in older homes with pipes made of cast iron)
- An accumulation of grease in the pipes
- Other blockages in the pipes
- Defects in pipelines that allow seepages of stormwater and/or groundwater into the system
Whatever the cause, however, a sewage backup requires immediate attention.
First Steps After a Sewage Backup
If you experience a sewage backup in your home, there are some basic first steps you should employ to help keep your family safe and to help mitigate the property damage. These include:
- Ensure the safety of everyone in your home
- Quit using your plumbing system completely
- Take photos of and list all damaged property (interior and exterior) to begin documenting your damage
- Consult with a damage-repair professional (with extensive experience in sewage backups) to determine how best to prevent further damage and make a plan for how best to move forward
Damage to Your Home
A sewage backup in your home is extremely unsanitary and will likely require professional cleaners to ensure that sanitary conditions are returned. Further, the water damage caused by such backups can be immense. If any residual water or moisture is left standing, it can even lead to very costly structural and cosmetic damage. When moisture remains, it can also lead to mold and mildew, which is not only unsightly and unpleasant smelling but can also have negative health consequences – especially for anyone with an underlying respiratory condition such as asthma or allergies. While initial repairs are being made, you may also bear the expense and inconvenience of having to move out of your home.
Don’t Delay Consulting with an Experienced Panama City Sewer Backup Lawyer
A sewage backup in your home can cause serious damage and extreme inconvenience. The dedicated Panama City insurance claims attorneys at Ged Lawyers, LLP, have extensive experience helping clients like you successfully recover benefits for your property damage and repairs. We’re on your side, so please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us at 850-684-4000 for more information today.